About the U.S. Energy Storage Association
The U.S. Energy Storage Association (ESA) is the national trade association dedicated to energy storage, working toward a more resilient, efficient, sustainable and affordable electricity grid – as is uniquely enabled by energy storage. With more than 190 members, ESA represents a diverse group of companies, including independent power producers, electric utilities, energy service companies, financiers, insurers, law firms, installers, manufacturers, component suppliers and integrators involved in deploying energy storage systems around the globe.
About the Position
This role provides the opportunity to work in one of the fastest growing sectors of the energy industry, in an expanding organization. Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Research and Programs will lead the Association’s efforts to deliver impactful and actionable resources designed to educate stakeholders. The Director will work with the policy team, strategic Marketing team and ESA members to conduct independent research, as well as develop content in support of ESA conferences, webinars, and other educational activities. He/she will serve as the day-to-day lead in the Association’s efforts to educate stakeholders, with the goal of accelerating market growth and delivering direct member value.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Industry Research and Knowledge Production (60%)
- Partner with ESA policy and marketing teams, ESA members, and other stakeholders to develop and maintain a robust and industry-relevant research agenda.
- Design and conduct studies to support robust content development, including the design of research methodologies and other analytical plans.
- Maintain the research calendar and white papers that are outsourced to external entities.
- Direct activities of ESA’s Technical Advisory Committee and other advisory groups and task forces that advise, execute and support research activities.
- Identify, evaluate, and provide constructive input on external research opportunities.
Educational Programming (30%)
- Manage content development for ESA keystone events and webinars.
- Provide input to and support strategic marketing related to educational programming.
- Identify, coordinate, and manage multiple speakers per event.
Other – Reporting, Training & Special Projects (10%)
- Communicate to ESA staff about ongoing and potential research initiatives.
- Manage vendors and budgets related to research.
- Participate in organizational planning and goal setting.
- Execute special projects as required.
- Perform administrative tasks as requested.
Education and/or Experience
ESA is seeking qualified applicants possessing a combination of education and experience enabling them to successfully perform the responsibilities of the position.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field from an accredited college/university
Minimum of five (5) years of experience in the energy industry
- Demonstrated proficiency using technology to organize and execute projects; experience using database, spreadsheet, and word processing software (e.g. MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Advanced knowledge of – and experiencing applying – appropriate qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and analysis procedures
- Demonstrated experience in conceptualizing, designing, and conducting actionable, practitioner-focused research methods
- Demonstrated ability to collect, interpret, and report statistical data, particularly in identifying patterns, trends, and key findings from the research
- Demonstrated ability to operate under stringent timelines and (re)prioritize as needed
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work independently
- Ability to work collaboratively within a small team
- Master’s or Ph.D. degree preferred
- Direct experience in the energy storage industry
- Experience in an association or nonprofit environment highly desirable
- Familiarity with abstract / speaker management platforms (e.g. Cadmium)
Send an email noting how you heard about this job, and enclose a cover letter, a writing sample, salary requirement, start date/availability and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “[Your Name] – Research and Programs Director” in subject line).
ESA is metro accessible and provides a generous benefit package. To learn more, visit energystorage.org.
ESA is an Equal Opportunity Employer