About the U.S. Energy Storage Association
The U.S. Energy Storage Association (ESA) is the national trade association dedicated to energy storage, working toward a more resilient, efficient, sustainable and affordable electricity grid – as is uniquely enabled by energy storage. With more than 190 members, ESA represents a diverse group of companies, including independent power producers, electric utilities, energy service companies, financiers, insurers, law firms, installers, manufacturers, component suppliers and integrators involved in deploying energy storage systems around the globe.
About the Position
This role provides an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated membership sales professional to work in one of the fastest growing sectors of the energy industry. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Membership Director will be an integral component of the organization’s and the industry’s success. With responsibility for the development and implementation of ESA’s overall membership strategy, the winning candidate is a hands-on, customer-focused individual who will use his or her experience and talents to manage all aspects of ESA’s membership base. S/he will be responsible for the strategic direction and management of membership services, recruitment and retention. The Membership Director also serves as a key internal voice for members’ needs, working across the Association's programs to ensure the member perspective is central to ESA's work. Some travel will be required (10-15%).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Oversee recruitment of new members, in close coordination with the Executive and programmatic teams (Marketing, Policy, Research).
- Work closely with the CEO and Executive team to develop annual membership targets, strategies and budgets as they relate to the strategic direction of the organization.
- Identify and clearly communicate the value proposition for potential and existing members.
- Develop and implement membership recruitment campaigns in coordination with the Board of Directors Membership Committee and relevant ESA teams, including development of marketing collateral, activities, analysis of campaign results and realignment to meet stated goals.
- Participate in regular discussions with the CEO regarding ongoing membership activities.
Customer Service and Member Retention
Oversee retention of members, in close coordination with the Executive and programmatic teams (Marketing, Policy, Research).
- In coordination with the CEO and Marketing team, plan, prepare and distribute all correspondence related to membership renewal, the collection of annual dues and dunning notices.
- Serve as the “voice of the member” among ESA team members, consistently communicating member priorities across the organization.
- Conduct annual member satisfaction surveys to inform future planning and activities for the organization.
- Develop a strategy for and execute annual renewal cycles and campaigns for each of ESA’s member segments.
- Based on feedback from newly acquired members, evaluate and adjust the new member onboarding process as necessary, including workflow processes and new member collateral.
- Respond to member inquiries and requests as needed.
- Process new membership applications per ESA procedures.
- Pursue outstanding receivables in a timely manner.
- In coordination with the CEO, manage the ESA Board of Directors Membership Committee.
- Supervise and maintain the ESA membership and contact database.
- Fully understand and suggest potential improvements to the membership structure and related bylaws and policies.
Education and/or Experience
ESA is seeking qualified applicants possessing a combination of education and experience that will enable them to successfully perform the responsibilities of the position. The winning candidate will be highly customer focused, confident, proactive and attentive to details.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in membership management for a nonprofit or similar organization
- Demonstrated expertise in managing and expanding the membership of an association or other membership organization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, capable of interacting positively and professionally with the team, with members and all other stakeholders
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Proficiency in membership database software maintenance and reporting required, experience with iMIS strongly preferred.
- Experience developing strategic annual membership and recruitment plans
- Experience with annual forecasting and budgeting for new member acquisition and retention.
- Ability to analyze and revise operating practices to improve efficiency
- Comfort in a fast-paced environment
- A positive attitude and demonstrated ability to work well within and across multiple teams
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work independently
- A passion for the mission of ESA and a strong desire to positively impact our organization and the energy industry
- Master’s or Ph.D. degree
- Direct experience in the energy storage industry
- Experience in an association or nonprofit environment
- CAE certification
- Knowledge of best practices in membership services and ability to utilize new technologies to assist with membership goals
- Ability to learn new technology as needed
To apply: Send an email noting how you heard about this job, and enclose a cover letter, a writing sample, salary requirement, start date/availability and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “[Your Name] – Research and Programs Director” in subject line).
ESA is metro accessible and provides a generous benefit package.
To learn more, visit energystorage.org.
ESA is an Equal Opportunity Employer